CAN YOU SWITCH BRANCHES WHILE IN THE MARINES?
- Once again, FUCK NO!! You cannot jump from branch to branch. You must finish the active part of your enlistment contract first and once you do this you are free to try to enlist into one of the other branches. Re-enlisting into a different branch is not a sure thing and it is not as easy as just wanting to do it. You will not know if you can change branches until it is your time.
IS BOOT CAMP REALLY THAT TOUGH?
- No it is not as hard as most people make it out to be. This doesn't mean it isn't hard. It's just not as hard as many may think it is. You can read all about how difficult boot camp really is on this page here: HOW TOUGH IS BOOT CAMP AND CAN I PASS IT?
HOW CAN YOU BECOME A GUIDE OR SQUAD LEADER DURING BOOT CAMP?
- All you can do is your best and hope you get noticed. If you do then your DI's might recognize you and assign you one of these positions. Guides and squad leaders are usually fired left and right and many recruits take turns being in one of these leadership positions. Not all boot camp platoons are run the same way. So how leaders are chosen will vary from platoon to platoon. Like I said, all you can do is your best and hope you get noticed. And remember, after boot camp no one really cares about what you did or were in boot camp and being a squad leader or guide doesn't help you while in the USMC. These boot camp leadership positions are a good personal accomplishment, but they will mean squat once boot camp is over.
CAN YOU TAKE A BIBLE TO BOOT CAMP?
- Yes you can and they cannot deny you this right. Try not to take a bible or other religious material that has sentimental value because things do get lost and ruined during boot camp. And try not to take a large bible since storage space is limited. As for religious necklaces, yes you can take them, but whether you will be allowed to wear them is a different story. Just remember that things do get lost and ruined, so use caution in what you take.
DO THEY REMOVE YOUR WISDOM TEETH DURING BOOT CAMP?
- While in boot camp the medical doctors will examine your mouth and determine what work needs to get done. Some of you will have your wisdom teeth pulled while others will not. They do not yank them just for the sake of yanking them. You may get them all removed during boot camp or they may decide to only remove one or two and the rest at a later day. This process varies from person to person, so don't assume things because of what you have heard. If you want to get them removed prior to going to boot camp, that is your business and you are free to do so. Keep in mind your dental work is free once you ship to boot camp, so if you can't afford to remove them as a civilian, then let the military handle this stuff. And yes, you are given rest and recovery time if you have your teeth pulled during boot camp along with any medication you may need.
CAN YOU TAKE YOUR CELL PHONE TO BOOT CAMP?
- You of course will not be allowed to use your cell phone during boot camp. You are not supposed to take it with you, but if you do, it will be stored and kept away from you. All personal crap that is stored will be returned to you just before you graduate. Do not make things harder for yourself. Just leave your phone at home and learn to do without today's conveniences. Once again, you are not supposed to take your cell phone and if you do, you risk it being lost or damaged and you may end up dealing with more bullshit then is necessary.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO WITH YOUR PERSONAL BILLS WHILE YOU ARE AT BOOT CAMP?
- You should try to make arrangements to pay your bills before you leave. And you can try to call whoever you pay bills to and let them know you are about to leave to boot camp to see what type of arrangements they can make for you. Unless it is a serious emergency, you will not have access to your money during boot camp to pay bills, so figure this crap out before you leave and do not act like you leaving for the Marines is a reason for everyone to give you a free pass and to be very understanding.
DO YOU NEED TO ACT LIKE A HARD-ASS BEFORE ENLISTING AND AS A MARINE?
- No you don't. You really should try to be who you truly are and you shouldn't go around acting like a tough guy just because you plan to enlist or are in the DEP. Contrary to popular belief, you do not have to cuss all the time and you do not have to act all macho just because you want to enlist or are enlisted. Don't let the USMC hype or image get too you. Just be who you are and don't fall for the peer pressure. You sure as hell aren't going to impress me by acting like Mr tough guy, so learn to be yourself and not who you wish you were.
SHOULD YOU LET MARINES TALK SHIT TO YOU JUST BECAUSE YOU AREN'T A MARINE?
- Of course not. Just because a person is a Marine this doesn't give him the right to belittle you. Just because you aren't a Marine this doesn't give Marines the right to treat you like shit and it sure as hell doesn't mean they are special. You still are somebody and you should never allow for anyone to put you down. You do not have to kiss a Marines ass either and if you are disrespected by a Marine you have every right to tell him to fuck off. Do not make the mistake of putting Marines on a pedestal. Let each Marine earn your respect and don't just assume they are to be respected because they are Marines. There are plenty of asshole Marines out there who enjoy putting future Marines down. You really don't need to be associating with those types. If a Marine enjoys putting you down, it's probably because he is a pussy and one hell of a loser. Don't underestimate yourselves and assume that you aren't worth a shit just because you aren't in the USMC. USMC or no USMC you should always hang your head up high and be proud of who you are. Don't rely on a title to give you respect, earn it by being who you are. The funny thing about respect is that once earned it can be lost if your actions call for it.
CAN RECRUITERS CHECK YOUR FACEBOOK AND OTHER SITES AND USE THEM AGAINST YOU?
- Of course they can and they do. You need to be very careful in what you post online because you never know who is going to look through your personal sites. Pictures with you doing drugs, drinking alcohol, and doing things of this nature are a good way to get you denied for enlistment and if you are in the DEP it is a good way to get your ass booted from the DEP. Even if you are just pretending to drink or were not actually drinking, if the picture looks like you were you open yourself up to a bunch of bullshit. Just watch what you post and watch what you say any time you are online.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU DON'T PASS BOOT CAMP?
- You will get separated from the Marine Corps and you go on with the rest of your life. You don't get a bad discharge and it wont effect you in your civilian life. Basically it will be like you never even tried out for the Marines. If you want to try and enlist again into the USMC or into one of the other branches, that is fine and it will all come down to why you didn't pass boot camp.
WHAT IS "TA"?
- TA is short for Tuition Assistance. This is a program for active duty Marines only and it pays for some of your college courses while on active duty. TA is not a guaranteed benefit and can be taken away or changed at any time. Let me say this again. TA is not a guaranteed benefit and can be taken away or changed at any time. TA has nothing to do with your GI Bill, so do not confuse the two. Once you arrive in your unit you will know if you qualify for it and how to go about applying for TA.
SHOULD I JOIN THE RESERVES TO GET COLLEGE MONEY?
- The Marine Corps is by far the worst reserve branch to enlist into for college money. If your sole interest is college money and serving in the reserves, I strongly suggest you join the Army or National Guard. Don't let any recruiter blow smoke up your ass about how you can get your college paid for by enlisting into the reserves. This is just not true. You get very very little money for college while in the reserves.
DO I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO SWIM TO PASS BOOT CAMP OR TO JOIN THE MARINES?
WHAT FITNESS PROGRAM CAN I USE TO IMPROVE MY RUNNING AND OTHER PHYSICAL FITNESS?
- The 300PFT program is an excellent fitness program if you follow it. If you do go on to use his program, enter the code of 300PFTFJ at checkout for a 50 percent discount. At half off, it's worth a try if you are serious about improving. You can find the 300PFT at the following link and don't forget to use the mentioned code for your discount: 300PFT WESBITE
WHY DO SOME MARINES SAY SERVING IN THE MARINE CORPS SUCKS?
- In most cases when a Marine says it "sucks" he is not referring to boot camp or to the physical aspect of being a Marine. They are speaking about all the little things that make being a Marine a harder life than it has to be. For instance: You very often are treated like juveniles, you very often will pay for the mistakes of others, you may end up doing jobs you did not ask for such as cleaning, painting, mowing grass, etc etc, you may notice some of your leaders will abuse their power and often take things out on you, your free time may be messed with, your liberty can be restricted for the silliest of things, your requests or demands often go unheard, your life can seem micro-managed at times, you have to abide by "USMC politics", you may encounter a lot of free time where no training is scheduled and this is when they find cool things for you to do, and many other things that lower morale.
IS THE MARINE CORPS STILL GOING TO BE RECRUITING AFTER THE WAR IS OVER?
- Of course they are. The military never stops recruiting whether it be war time or peace time. Each day Marines get out of the USMC, so someone has to fill their spots and this is why they never stop recruiting. This also applies for any job such as infantry. Just because a war ends, this doesn't mean the infantry goes away until the next war.
CLICK HERE FOR PAGE 1 OF MORE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS